No matter what type of Haitian event you are glad to be invited to, potato and beet salad is almost always found on the table. The potato mixture and the mayonnaise mixed with the scarlet-coloured beet make this salad attractive to the eye and it taste will leave you speechless.
Many people also add carrots and sometimes other vegetables like red or green pepper, green peas, corn seeds, etc. But be assured that even with only the basic ingredients, the taste will nonetheless be delicious.
Best potatoes for this recipe :
After testing this recipe with two types of potato, small (baby or new) potatoes and Idaho potatoes, I realized that I prefer small potatoes for two reasons:
1— Very easy and quick to prepare. (No need to peel)
2— The high moisture content eliminates the powdery feel in the mouth that is sometimes found with floury potatoes.
- 7-8 small (baby or new) potatoes cubed
- 1 medium size onion
- 3 medium-sized beets
- 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon of salt (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper (or to taste)
- Place the rack in the centre of the oven and preheat to 400 F.
- Brush the beets with olive or vegetable oil
- Coat them individually with parchment paper and then foil.
- Place on a cookie sheet for about 45 minutes or until tender inside. (use a fork to check)
- SMALL POTATOES
- Cut approximately 7-8 potatoes in half lengthwise. Then again cut in half, still lengthwise, and cut into two or three in the width direction. (Yields approximately 8 to 12 potato cubes.)
- Cut the onion finely.
- COMBINE ALL
- Mettre les morceaux de patate dans un grand bol, ajoutez les oignons, le sel, le poivre ainsi que la mayonnaise.
- Mix everything, carefully avoiding to crush the potatoes.
- When the mixture is uniform, add the beets and mix again and voila.